Monday, December 2, 2013

Othello Outline

Othello Outline
Thesis: Throughout the play Iago's malicious actions and tricky phrasing solidify the idea that he acts as an allegorical devil.
1. As the play progresses, Iago consistently ignores religious ideals and encourages other characters to sin.
a. In an effort to publicly humiliate Cassio in the quest to remove him from his lieutenancy, Iago pressures Cassio to drink: "Come, lieutenant, I have/a stoup of wine [...] But one cup. I'll drink for you" (II.iii.26-33).
b. As Iago continues his plan to ruin Othello's relationship with Desdemona, he tries to make Othello more and more jealous as his plan progresses: "I will in Cassio's lodging lose this napkin/And let him find it. Trifles light as air/Are to the jealous confirmations strong/As proof of holy writ" (III.iii.329-332).
c. Once Othello is convinced that Desdemona is cheating on him with Cassio, Iago suggests how Othello should kill Desdemona: "Strangle her in bed, even the/bed she hath contaminated" (IV.I.197-198).
d. Iago manages to convince Roderigo to kill Cassio after Iago convinces the fool that Cassio's death will help Roderigo win Desdemona: "[Make] him uncapable of Othello's place:/knocking out his brains" (VI.ii.234-235).
2. Throughout the play Iago is often in correlation with hell, inhumanity, and the devil
a. “Hell and night/Must bring this monstrous birth to the world’s light” (I.iii.394-395)
b. "How am I then a villain/To counsel Cassio this parallel course,/Directly to his good? Divinity of hell!/When devils will the blackest sins put on/They do suggest at first with heavenly shows/As I do now" (II.iii.328-333).
c. The devil is not a man: "Fie, there is no such man. It is impossible" (VI.ii.141).
d. "O damned Iago! O inhuman dog!" (V.i.64)
e. Emilia has a final shred of hope that Iago is a man, but her hope is pointless because Iago is the devil: "Disprove this villain if thou be'st a man./He says told'st him that his wife was false./I know thou didst not, thou'rt not such a villain" (V.II.185-188)
f. Iago tries to kill Iago but is unable to do so because Iago is the devil: "I look down towards his feet, but that's a fable./If thou be'st a devil, I cannot kill thee" (V.ii.299-300).
3. At several point in to play Iago’s actions appear to have no genuine purpose other than to be purely evil.
a. “Thus do I ever make my fool my purse./For I mine own gained knowledge should profane/If I would time expend with such a snip/But for my sport and profit” (I.iii.374-377).
b. Iago stabs Roderigo after Cassio has already wounded Roderigo: “O murd’rous slave! O villain!/Stabs Roderigo” (V.i.65).

c. Iago kills Emilia even though his evil manipulation has already been revealed and his fate has been sealed: “Villainous whore! […] Filth, thou liest! […] Iago stabs Emilia” (243-249).

No comments:

Post a Comment