Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Othello #1

Throughout the first act, Iago's manipulative nature is revealed. Iago admits that he hates Othello because the General did not choose Iago to be second and command. The Venetian military veteran discusses plans to seek revenge on Othello with Roderigo, who also hates Othello because he loves Othello's wife. Iago's flawless double-sided nature is displayed through his contrasting behavior around Roderigo and when he is alone. When talking to Roderigo, Iago openly states that he hates Othello: "I hate the Moor" (I.iii.359). In addition to his own hatred for Othello, Iago is also trying to appeal to Roderigo's hatred for the General. Iago wants to partner up with Roderigo because Roderigo will supply a great amount of money towards the effort to take down Othello. Although Iago appears loyal to Roderigo, he admits, "Thus do I ever make my fool my purse. For I mine own gained knowledge should profane if I would time expend with such a snipe but for my sport and profit" (I.iii. 374-377). When no one is around to hear his confession, Iago admits that he is only using Roderigo for his money. He has no interest in helping Roderigo win Othello's wife, he is only interested in taking Othello down for himself.


In addition to his two-faced nature towards Roderigo, Iago falsely represents himself around Othello. Iago has already admitted to his hatred of his superior when he goes to meet with Othello and the Duke. When face-to-face with Othello, Iago treats Othello with respect and loyalty. Roderigo arrives with Brabantio, accusing Othello of stealing Desdemona. Iago defends Othello when he says, "You, Roderigo! Come, sir, I am for you" (I.ii.60). Iago pretends to be willing to fight Roderigo in order to demonstrate his loyalty towards Othello. Iago wants Othello to trust him so the General will not suspect his evil intentions. Unfortunately, Iago's misrepresentation of himself is convincing and Othello has faith in his subordinate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment